Why smoke-free outdoor sports and recreation?
- To protect athletes, spectators, officials and volunteers from the harm caused by second hand smoke.
- To ensure that our children realize that smoking is not a part of an active, healthy lifestyle.
- To encourage everyone to live a smoke free life.
- To enjoy our outdoor sport and recreation areas we must be assured that we can breathe good, clean, healthy air.
A recent study by Stafford, Daube and Franklin in Austrailia has shown that there is no safe level of exposure to second hand smoke – even in outdoor areas.
Smoke free outdoor sport and recreation grounds is endorsed by:
- Municipalities Newfoundland and Labrador
- Recreation Newfoundland and Labrador
- The Newfoundland and Labrador Soccer Association
- The Newfoundland and Labrador Amateur Baseball Association
- Softball Newfoundland and Labrador
To date all communities in the Province with populations over 800 have implemented a smoke-free outdoor recreation and sport areas and events policy.
TOTAL POPULATION INVOLVED – 368,774
If you would like more information on this issue or would like to speak about the policies already in place in some communities please contact the ACT office.