Why smoke-free outdoor sports and recreation?
- To protect athletes, spectators, officials and volunteers from the harm caused by second hand smoke.
- To ensure that our children realize that smoking is not a part of an active, healthy lifestyle.
- To encourage everyone to live a smoke free life.
- To enjoy our outdoor sport and recreation areas we must be assured that we can breathe good, clean, healthy air.
A recent study by Stafford, Daube and Franklin in Austrailia has shown that there is no safe level of exposure to second hand smoke – even in outdoor areas.
Smoke free outdoor sport and recreation grounds is endorsed by:
- Municipalities Newfoundland and Labrador
- Recreation Newfoundland and Labrador
- The Newfoundland and Labrador Soccer Association
- The Newfoundland and Labrador Amateur Baseball Association
- Softball Newfoundland and Labrador
To date, the following communities have implemented a smoke-free outdoor recreation and sport areas and events policy. If your community has a smoke-free policy and it is not listed here, please contact us and let us know!
Cape St. George
Channel-Port aux Basques
Conception Bay South
Happy Valley-Goose Bay
Isle aux Morts
Milltown-Head of Bay D’Espoir
Nain Inuit Community Government
Petty Harbour-Maddox Cove
Portugal Cove – St. Phillips
Rose Blance-Harbour Le Cou
Trinity Bay North
Upper Island Cove
TOTAL POPULATION INVOLVED – 363, 274
If you would like more information on this issue or would like to speak about the policies already in place in some communities please contact the ACT office.